Friday, April 11, 2014

I PRETEND I KNOW HOW TO COOK

Ok, I'm not that bad...but sometimes I do forget I have something in the oven. And once (only once, I swear) I left the plastic lid on a baking dish while reheating leftovers. But I promise I hit it out of the park 9 times out of 10!

Some of you know that I have a very busy life. I like it that way; there's never a dull moment. I work full time (with an hour commute each way), attend school as a full time student, tend to my boys (my son and fiance) all day and night, and act as live in maid and chef. Although I've taken a step back, I'm still the part-time "office manager/accountant" for my other half's business on the occasional week night.


Bottom line: I don't have any extra time in the day to be creating works of art with our dinner plates.


Don't get me wrong, we eat healthy. At least as healthy I know food should be. I'm a firm believer in whole wheats, lots of veggies, keeping recipes simple, and your ingredients as close to natural/organic as possible. I also love dipping sauces and cheese, so I  think I'm pretty evened out. Right?



I thought I'd share a couple super quick, easy, and inexpensive (family approved) dinners that a busy mom (or human being in general) can make without sacrificing a descent diet for her family. 




Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Cheese Tortelloni
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
First up, we have an Italian dish: Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Cheese Tortellini

Ingredients:

  • 1 8- to 9-ounce bag dried cheese tortellini
  • 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
  • 2 6-ounce jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped basil
  • a little salt and pepper


Super Easy Steps: All you have to do is cook the tortellini according to the package.
While that's going on, sauté red peppers, artichoke hearts, and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper in butter in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Transfer this "sauce" to a large bowl. Reserve ½ cup pasta-cooking water, then drain tortellini and add to red pepper-artichoke sauce along with some of reserved cooking water and basil. Toss well and season with salt and pepper. Thin with additional pasta-cooking water, if desired.





BBQ Baked Salmon and Almond Green Beans | Shortcut Meals Meal Plan | Cook Smarts by Jess Dang
Photo & Salmon Recipe by: Jess Dang
This one I went a little more French meets The South cuisine: Baked BBQ Salmon and Lemon Grass Green Beans with Almonds (The kid loves this!)

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound green beans
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
  • 1.5 lb. salmon
  • your favorite BBQ 

Super Easy Steps: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place your salmon on some tin foil, brush your favorite BBQ sauce on, and throw it in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness).Trim green beans, and steam them in the microwave safe container that vents (I use a little something like this) with a little water until crisp-tender, then drain well. While all this is happening, toast the almonds with the oil in a skillet over medium heat, stirring until golden. Toss the beans with almonds, lemon zest, and lemon juice.



Now you can sit back, relax, and plot your attack on the hamper full of dirty laundry enjoy time with the ones you love.



What's your favorite busy day recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment