Monday, April 14, 2014

DIY: YOU'LL FEEL BETTER


We've been attempting to cut back on expenses and save some money to purchase the beautiful home we've been lucky enough to rent for about 5 years, I'm trying really, really trying to live by the mantra: reduce, reuse, & recycle. 

With that being said Craigslist, which was once my biggest enemy/fear (what with all the creepers and all), has since become my new friend. I was able to find a new dresser and chest of drawers in the French provincial fashion I've been longing for. The current layout and size of our master bedroom, in regards to the elaborate and larger than life furniture that was given to us (so sweetly might I add), is beginning to feel a little overbearing and unwelcoming. I finally decided that some more wide open spaces might help make our bedroom feel like an escape (and not a storage unit). 


I was lucky enough to come across a sweet girl named Jesse selling the French provincial set (on the other side of the county, of course) and purchased it that same weekend. Since the purchase, about three weeks ago: I've been debating colors vs. stains, knob replacement vs. new paint, technique, and the list goes on (and on, and on, and on). 


I finally made my decisions. Alongside my other half, and in between my busy life, I was able to finally complete the set and share this with you! 




Photo from the Craigslist Ad


Photo from the Craigslist Ad


There were a few dents and dings that these pictures do not reveal. With a few hours (yes, hours) of grinding away with sanders of various shapes, sizes, and grit level; I was able to hack through the three different colored coats of paint that had lived their lives and now needed to move on.


 


With my trusty, el cheapo paint brush in hand and buckets of 2 in 1 primer/sealer and zero VOC/low odor paint in tow; I set fourth every couple of evenings and Saturdays to get coat after coat done to my liking. 


Finally finished, we seemed to have lost two of the handles in the yard (we're still waiting for a confession from the kid or the dogs--haha). Last night my other half found them! All little worse for wear, but I was able to bend them back and reapply the paint. After the final screw was in place: Viola! 



Behr Color Collection: Night Shade

After dusting my fingerprints off of it I was done and feeling so accomplished. So accomplished in fact that we'll be working on the new headboard...Another day, I suppose.


No comments:

Post a Comment